Yes, this one is packed with so many nutrients and health benefits. It truly is a powerhouse for me. I love eating Poha(flattened rice) and like to cook it very often. But every time I try and use a different version. Poha is eaten in different parts of India and all of them have their own version. Well here is mine.
1 bowl of flattened rice flakes/Poha.
1 full bowl of mixed veggies – chopped (I use the seasonal ones).
2 Green chillies chopped.
Oil for sauteing.
2 egg whites.
½ tbsp of fennel seeds, mustard seeds and cumin seeds each.
A pinch of Asafoetida/hing powder.
1 tbsp turmeric powder.
1 tbsp of sugar.
1 tbsp of lemon juice.
Salt as per taste.
And we are good to go.
- Put the rice flakes in a sieve and run it through water. Keep it aside.
- Heat a pan, pour oil and fennel seeds, mustard seeds and cumin. Add Asafoetida.
- Add green chillies and sauté the vegetables
- Once the vegetable are cooked as per your liking – add turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix the rice flakes. Stir well
- Add the sugar and lemon juice in the end.
- Meanwhile, make scrambled eggs from two egg whites and keep aside.
- Combine them all while serving and enjoy.
This version of poha gives me a perfect combination of carbohydrates, vitamins and proteins. Since this is a complete meal, it can be eaten at any time during the day.