Is Boredom and Long Hours At Office Making You Fat?
According to a latest study(published in The Hindu dated 26 Feb 2014), it is found out that long hours at work and boredom could result in increase in weight. Research showed that workplace is the worst place to indulge in unhealthy snacks. Also over a quarter of diets fail due to unhealthy snacking al desko(while sitting at desk), as published in the Daily Star.
30-40% of people in UK admitted their biggest weakness as cookies, chocolates and crisps. Boredom is also blamed for a common excuse for unhealthy snacking al desko.
Long hours at office and boredom are sometimes unavoidable and maybe due to inefficiency. Here’s what you can do to spend the long hours efficiently without expanding the waist line. I generally follow the same nowadays and am feeling superb while losing weight.
1. Get your own healthy snack to office. It’s okay to get your own lunch and snacks in case option of healthy food is not available at the office. Stock some snacks like dates, almonds, pistachios etc in your desk for any emergency.
2. Staying with fit people will have positive influence on your dietary habits.
3. If you can, then workout during lunch. Even a 15-20 minutes of lifting weights, yoga or jogging can do wonders in boosting your metabolism.
4. Get a stand up desk. Sitting is the new cancer, according to latest research. If your office can’t provide you one then make an effort to stand for 5-10 minutes after every 20-30 minutes of sitting. And always answer the phone while standing.
5. Drink a glass of water every 30-45 minutes. Water is a magical element to lose weight.
6. Take the stairs as often as you can.
7. Avoid packaged fruit juices and sugary stuff.
9. Do meditation during breaks. It helps avoid snacking on junk food.
10. Write down your aim and stick it on the desk or your computer to remind yourself constantly of your goal.
11. Have a light lunch like a salad or food with lots of vegetables. It helps avoid spike in blood sugar and resultant lethargy.
Office time need not be a place of unhealthy eating even if you are working beyond closing time. The choice is yours to make. Prepare in advance and think about what you are going to put in your body. It is said, ‘you are what you eat‘.
Till then stay fit and keep running.
What do you eat at office and how do you manage to keep your fitness goals on track?