So what is a podcast? It is digital audio file made available on the Internet for downloading to a computer or mobile, typically available as a series, new installments of which can be received by subscribers automatically. This definition is as per Wikipedia.
Why listen to a podcast?
Apart from reading books on running(7 books which I read and you should too), podcasts is an another way to enhance knowledge. Well, the benefits are many but I will not dwell too much on them. So, here is a list of all the advantages of listening to a podcast.
- It provides a deeper connection between the listener and the speaker. It can be your favourite personality, author or whatever.
- It provides tonnes of information in a personalised way.
- Gives eyes some rest from all the reading.
- A perfect companion on travel, walks or long runs.
- So much to learn from interviews, stories of other runners.
- Reading blog posts like this one is becoming passé! Is it or is it not? I am not sure.
- Listening to thousands of experts on running will make you a smarter, stronger, faster and injury proof runner.
4 Podcasts A Runner Must Listen
The podcasts which I am recommending are actually more than enough to listen to and reap the benefits listed above. These 4 will give you all the information and tips on running, life and spirituality.
- Rich Roll podcast. I love this guy and love the way he conducts his show. He is quite a famous personality. He was obese and a junkie before he made his transformation few years ago. Post his not-so-good phase of life, he turned vegan and participated in Ultraman. He is the best selling author of FINDING ULTRA. His show is a long form talk show where he goes deep in the conversation with one the most influential people in the world in the field of sports, medicine, spirituality etc. An hour or two of his talk is the best thing I listen to while travelling from Delhi to Gwalior. You can listen to and subscribe to his podcast here and here.
- No Meat Athlete Radio. This duo of Doug Hay and Matt Frazier brings a weekly podcast on running, being a vegan, leading a healthy lifestyle etc. The conversation which both theses guys have is fun and full of information. If you want to be a fast runner, then listen to them; if you want to a be a injury proof runner, then listen to them; if you want to be a vegan runner, then definitely listen to them. You can listen and subscribe to the podcast here.
- Ultrarunner podcast. This podcast is run by Eric Schranz and Sarah which is ultrarunning specific. This podcast covers ultramarathon news, ultra and trail running product reviews, interviews with elite and upcoming athletes in ultrarunning. They try and cover all aspects of this sport from getting to your first race to how elites prepare to go the distance. It’s worth a hearing. You can subscribe to them here.
- Science of Ultra. This podcast is a geeks show where Dr Shawn Bearden, PhD goes deep in exercise science and other matters. He interviews some of the world’s leading scientists, coaches and athletes to unearth the knowledge of training for an ultra and to understand the exercise science. It is very insightful and informative. A completely different format than the rest of the above but has tonnes of value in each episode. You can listen to the podcast here.
I have purposefully not kept the list too long because if you can listen to these podcasts, you will be smarter than yesterday and a much smarter and better runner. I believe in not filling up my mobile phone with junk.
Till then stay fit and keep running.
Which of the 4 do you listen to?
Any other podcast which you recommend for runners?
When do you listen to podcasts?